As a Catholic    in a Protestant nation, he was interred in a graveyard used mainly for orphans in Adolf Fredriks kyrka in Stockholm. His manuscripts came into the possession of Claude Clerselier , Chanut's brother-in-law, and "a devout Catholic who has begun the process of turning Descartes into a saint by cutting, adding and publishing his letters selectively."  In 1663, the Pope placed his works on the Index of Prohibited Books . In 1666 his remains were taken to France and buried in the Saint-Étienne-du-Mont . In 1671 Louis XIV prohibited all the lectures in Cartesianism . Although the National Convention in 1792 had planned to transfer his remains to the Panthéon , he was reburied in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés in 1819, missing a finger and skull.  His skull is on display in the Musee de l'Homme in Paris. 
Sayre, H. M. (2015). The humanities: Culture, continuity and change, Volume 2 (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle
River, NJ: Pearson Education
For the reading selection you choose:
1. Thoroughly and clearly stated in your own words the “surprise ending” in the reading you selected. Thoroughly and clearly identified the point in the reading when you realized that there were elements in the reading that surprised you.
2. Thoroughly evaluated the author’s success at providing a believable “surprise ending.”
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
• Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
• Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
• Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. (Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the Additional Resources section of their Student Center within their course shell for reference)
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
• Use the source(s) identified above for the topic you choose, focusing on the main primary source of that author. You may use additional sources also if they are of good academic quality for college papers (Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify). Use proper APA style in-text citing and also a matching APA style References list at the end.